Monday, May 21, 2007

Groom Was Willing to Pay

1914

Became Impatient, However, When He Thought Officiating Bishop Was Hurrying Him

A prominent bishop of one of the largest denominations in the world tells the following story:

"A young man came to me one day and said: 'Bishop, I want you to marry me on next Wednesday.'

"'All right, young man; I'll marry you,' I assured him.

"'Well, I want the bell to ring,' he continued.

"'Very well, you can have the bell rung.'

"'Well, I want the organ to play.'

"'All right, you can have the organ played.'

"'And I want everything else that anybody ever had at a church wedding.'

"'Certainly; you shall have it.'

"Well, the night came, the bell rang, the organ played, the church was crowded, and everything went off as the young man wanted it. When the ceremony was over the young couple waited instead of leaving the chancel. So I held out my hand, shook hands with the bride and then held out my hand to the bridegroom. He had his hand deep in his trousers pocket, and as I stood with my hand out he said, somewhat impatiently, and in a tone that could be heard all over the church:

"'Now, don't be in such an all-fired hurry, bishop; I'm getting the money out just as fast as I can.'

"And everybody in the church giggled."

No comments: