Sunday, June 10, 2007

Ouija Board and Spirit Messages Are Additional Terrors to Death

1920

By GEORGE BERNARD SHAW

My mother was always having communion with the dead. She took it quite seriously. She was a wise and balanced woman, too.

The first planchette that ever came to Ireland came to our house. I used it incessantly till it became a deadly bore — as it does in about a week.

I have looked into the subject, but it has not convinced me. I feel much like a man I know whose dearest friend, a woman, was close to death.

"You are about to pass over, my dear," he told her with tears in his eyes, "and I want you to promise me solemnly that if it is possible for you to communicate with me from the other world, you won't do it."

Fortunately she recovered, but she has since died, and now my friend is scared stiff for fear she will come to him just for spite!

Fancy the poor dead having to spend their time tilting tables for people in this world! And ringing bells and sending messages. Why, it adds terrors to death.

No comments: