Monday, March 31, 2008

How She Got Rid of Them

1910

Discouraged Visits From Her Niece's Children by Teaching Them Verses From the Bible

"What has become of those two children who visited you so often?" asked one West side woman of another. The other smiled discreetly.

"They are the children of my niece, and she was making a convenience of me. Of course I love the children, but I never allow myself to become much of a victim of imposition. My niece is an extremely gay young widow, and she does not like to take care of her children. She is fond of shopping, matinees, afternoon teas and everything, in short, which takes her away from home, and she got into a habit of sending her children over to my house for me to take care of whenever she wished to gad about. I decided it was time to break up the habit, for her own good and that of the children, as well as mine, so I did."

"I suppose that made your niece angry?"

"Oh, no; it couldn't. I never said anything about it. The last time the children came over I spent the afternoon teaching them verses from the Bible, and they didn't find it sufficiently entertaining. They never came back. Just how they managed to work it out with their mother I do not know, but I suppose they struck or begged off. Of course, she could not object to what I had done, and it proved a very simple solution."

No comments: