Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Rob a Minister Politely

1901

Unusual Courtesy Shown by Thieves in a Pittsburgh Pastor's Home

An interesting dialogue between a minister and a burglar occurred at 3 o'clock one morning recently, when the Rev. Dr. McClelland, pastor of the Bellefield Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh, was awakened from his slumbers and went to the door to behold the muzzles of four pistols leveled at his head. The captain of the gang said: "You will die if you don't hold up your hands." Dr. McClelland relates his experience as follows:

"The fellow kept his pistols within a few inches of my head. He directed me to turn, open the door, and walk back to bed. My wife was sitting up in bed crying, but the trio followed me into the room. There was nothing for me to do but obey.

"'Have you any money?' the captain asked.

"'You will find $5.81 in an envelope on the dresser marked "Presbyterian hospital,'" I informed him. 'If you take that money you are pretty hard up.'

"'How did you come by it?' he questioned.

"'I am a clergyman,' I answered. "When he heard this he seemed to feel sorry and remarked: 'My dear sir," had I known this was a minister's home I would not have entered, but I suppose you can get some more money for the hospital.'

"Then he discovered my watch on the dresser, and asked me if it was of value. I informed him that it was a present. 'If that is so I guess we'll let you keep it,' the captain said. He ordered the searcher to let the watch remain where it was. The door of the children's room was open. Mrs. McClelland asked the burglars to keep out of there as the little girl was sick and nervous.

"'Just to oblige you, my dear madam,' the spokesman said. He kept his word, and the room was not disturbed.

"The chief then asked who occupied the front room. I told him my daughter. He wanted to know if she had any money or valuables. I said no. He also promised not to disturb her.

"I agreed to make no outcry when they left."

No comments: