Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Likeness of the Devil

1905

The hobby of the late Col. Blumenthal was "the collection of devils," says an English exchange. He devoted himself to collecting all sorts of representations of his satanic majesty, and he secured about 350 likenesses of the devil on canvas, and in marble, wood, bronze and ivory.


St. Patrick's Wondrous Faith

Nor was Patrick an ordinary Christian. Savages and cannibals surround him with threats and with assault. He knows not fear. Hunger and want stare him in the face. Idolatry and witchcraft oppose him. But his will is inflexible; his heart impregnable; his faith strong and mighty. Thus he labored on, making his own life a living proof of the reality of the gospel whereby he overthrew fetishism and heathenism and saved a mighty nation.

And here is the secret of it all, in his own words: "The love and fear of God more and more inflamed my heart. My faith and my spirit were enlarged, so that I prayed a hundred times a day, and nearly as much at night. Before the light I arose to my prayers, in the snow, in the frost, and in the rain, and experienced no evil at all. Nor was I affected with sloth, for the Spirit of God was warm in me."

No comments: