Friday, February 22, 2008

Life Saving on Conditions

Sept. 1910

A treatise on "How to Be Kind but Cautious" might be written by a woman who played the part of good Samaritan in a New York subway station. Another woman had fainted. What she needed to bring her to in a hurry was smelling salts, but nobody had smelling salts.

"I think she has a vinaigrette of her own in that bag," said the Samaritan, "but in the absence of a policeman I am afraid to open it to find out." Something that looked like a small bottle could be discerned through the meshes of the chain bag, and the crowd, valiantly shifting responsibility, said: "Go ahead and open it."

"On one condition I will," said the Samaritan. "I want three bystanders to watch me and sign a written statement that I have taken nothing from the bag but the vinaigrette. I know this town too well to take any chances of being accused of theft."

The oath was drawn up in a jiffy, three signatures were appended, the Samaritan opened the bag, found the vinaigrette, and proceeded with restorative measures.

No comments: